Thursday, January 22, 2009

Vitamin D!

It has been delightfully sunny and not nearly as cold this week. The sun is making the snow and ice do funny things. Unfortunately, my back steps are a death trap. My dog's are tear-assing down the stairs, sturdy on four feet, and I'm gripping the parts of the railing that aren't covered in an inch of ice, slowly inching my way down.
The ice on the giant nuts and bolts was a pretty cool find. Weird how that happens.

I finished my sisters Florist Scarf and her handmuff the other day. I overnighted them to her so that she could wear them to her big event. She and a group of other wedding vendors set up their own group and held their own bridal fair in the theme of Alice in Wonderland. I guess it was a huge hit. 300 people was the final headcount! The group is called Wedding Hive. Check out their website. I really wish I could have seen the event. Hopefully pictures will be posted soon on their site! And apparently she got lots of compliments and inquirys on her Muff! I think I might be making a few more of these as well! The Muff was quite easy and knitted up fast. I made the pattern up as I went and I hope I can replicate it and write it down! The scarf is just four repeats of horseshoe lace, one of the Shetland Island laces. It's really pretty but that scarf was a nightmare. It took me to almost half of the scarf to memorize the chart and it is chockfull of mistakes. Oh well, you really can't tell unless you are a serious knitter. So please Serious Knitters, don't look closely.
I went to my first Stitch 'n Bitch last Sunday at Lovely. The girls were really nice and welcoming. But what I thought was cool was that they used the 2 hours to size me up. Make sure I was legit. Not in a snotty way, but in a (responsible?) way. They were interested in what I was making and offered constructive criticism and helpful tips. But it was definitely awkward for me at first 'cause it was like inviting oneself to sit with a different group of friends in the highschool cafeteria. These girls knew each other and had been knitting together for awhile. And it was a bit of a humbling experience. They were all knitting sweaters and colorwork mittens. This is what I made.Yes. It was embarressing. But they didn't make me feel bad, they went out of their way to tell me they thought it was cool. So I'm going back tomorrow. I'm in-between projects so I'm sure I'll wind up starting yet another quick embarressing project to wow them with! Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Meghan you should not be embarrassed by your snake! I love it! Next time make another muff and show them who's boss, mine is exquisite and the envy of many- men and women (although these men are gay- but straight men did give a great response, its just not something they'd wear). You should be comfortable making whatever you feel like making and anyone with any sense will respect you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarf is beautiful, what a great color and stitch! It looks so soft and cozy too!

    ReplyDelete