Sunday, January 11, 2009

Time to get cracking...



Now that Christmas/Solstice is over, a number of projects vie for my creative attention. I'm finishing up a scarf for my sister and am knitting a pair of mittens for my mom. I'm concentrating on projects that I already own the tools for because work is slow and money is scarce. (Although I peruse the yarn shop websites constantly!) In fact, I have several things already started that I need to finish.


This is where I do the most of my work, right here on the coffee table.


As some of you know, I'm volunteering at Fire Arts Center of Chicago. They've been going through some difficult times and have recently moved to a relatively small space in the Cornelia Building on Chicago's North side. They are a metal arts center, teaching foundry, mold-making, and lost wax method casting. They also do jewelry and some forging. I am now on the board and in November I was on the pour team with the Director Vince Hawkins and co-founder Michael Bennett. I haven't poured bronze since I was working at
Eligius Bronze Foundry in Kansas City! It was such a thrill! Right now I'm working on knitting a piece in the shape of a water pitcher. I plan on stiffening it up, coating it in wax, making a lost wax cast and then casting it in bronze! That project was put on the back burner in lieu of Solstice presents but it's about to be picked right up. Unfortunately, Fire Arts new location is farther away from me than the old space and our inclement weather hasn't been good for cycling.

A couple of other things on the list are an embroidery I started this summer. It's much more detailed than my last embroideries and is taking a bit more concentration and time. I'm also working on sketching and eventually painting a still life I set up in my living room/ art studio. The still life is good but my work table is a mess. I'm so cramped and with out proper storage space for my
accoutrements that I'm procrastinating on that project.Here's the still life. Don't you think that I need something textural? Fluffy or feathered? It's all smooth objects. That's the other thing that is holding me back... What to add?


This is the night view from our back porch. It can be quite tranquil to gaze out beyond the rooftops if you can stand the cold.

2 comments: