Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Punk Rock Knitting!


The Sunday before Superbowl was a blast! Gabe picked me up from Noble Square Stitch 'n Bitch and took me to his band practice space. Along the way we picked up Willie, their lead singer. Now, I am not a musician, but they sat me down at the drum kit and let me bang my heart out. (I will say that it took a rapidly drunk beer to get me there!) So, after awhile I became more comfortable and started to be able to keep time to Gabe's guitar strummings. In an enthusiastic moment, I asked Willie to sing a song about knitting!
"Knitting? uh, ok, one, two, three, four!" And we were off! It was a fast paced, unintelligible, punk rock song about knitting! Awesome! It was awesome. It still makes me smile to think about it!

Last week was one of those weeks where nothing goes exactly wrong but nothing feels right either. So it was rather a long week, dour and uneventful. But one afternoon, though I'm really not in a place to spend money on frivolous treats like large Chai Lattes and loaded, cream cheesey bagels, I spent most of the daylight hours in a coffee shop working on Conrad's Bootie. I have knit most of it and worked through and wrote down the pattern as I went. It will be too small for him after I felt it but I believe the right shape is there and I can easily adapt the pattern to a larger size. I now need to finish the shaping for the back of the ankle and up the leg and then make 3 more. I'll felt them, do some finishing that will aide in the longevity of the booties and give them to a small dog that I know. I also have to make the right size for Conrad! His poor tooties!










One of the reasons this has been postponed is that I'm also working on my first pair of socks. I thought it was important to learn short rows and shaping before I tackled dog booties. When I started, I didn't pay attention to my gauge so these socks are actually too big and baggy for me but may just fit my sister. So they are going to her in the mail in the next few days. I have just the ball of the foot and the toes to finish on the second sock and I'm done! They were a lot easier than I thought they'd be!







Remember what the dogs did to my oh-so-lovely Shibui Knits mohair/silk? Well, I sat down in the morning sunshine the other day and spent nearly 4 hours untangling it. It only broke once so it's in two 'balls' now. I actually wrapped them around nearly empty spools of thread. Even though it's hurts to look at that fluffy tangle, isn't it pretty in the glass vase? My mom got me that vase for Solstice this year and it happens to match my yarn. Hmm.

1 comment:

  1. You make me want to start knitting again! I was never brave enough to try knitting socks. :) The booties are adorable, what a great idea! I hope you put up pictures of Conrad wearing them when you are finished!

    ReplyDelete